Life: Apply Liberally

Pastor Ellen's blog about life these days

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 12, 2004

When it comes to aging, we don't have to be cheerleaders all the time...

In response to "TroysMom" who sent the following entry to DrWeil.com and to date has received 192 "you go, girl" comments:
I am 51 and very health~oriented and healthy. My "problem" is that of accepting aging.....it's an actual hang~up I'm dealing with....I'd appreciate other people in my age group and their viewpoints that may help me through this phase. Perhaps it's part of entering Menopause?
Pastor Ellen's little words of wisdom:
Dear TroysMom and company,
You guys are remarkable...thinking positive, living in the zone, keeping the bar high...and I'm asking myself, "Am I in a bad episode of The Emporer's New Clothes?"
I mean, none of you came out and actually said it: "Menopause sucks!"
Bottom line, de facto, es verdad!
My clothes, mattress, and car upholstery are all salt-stained from the massive streams of sweat that have poured from my body since the hot flashes and night sweats kicked in.
My husband installed a remote control for the fan so he doesn't have to get up 30 times a day to turn it off and on depending on the hormonal whims of my endocrine system.
Estrogen, yes? Estrogen, no? Oh my gosh, if a man had to endure this, we'd have all the drugs the pharmaceutical industry could throw at us (albeit some really bad TV commercials to tout them)!
And what about that monthly visit from my grandmother? I endured that little inconvenience for 35 years along with all the other girls, believing that the best thing about it was that it got me out of P.E. class now and again.
But now that my little friend isn't visiting so often, I am curiously sad. Yes, she was a messy guest...just like my teenagers. But I missed them when they left, too!
Yeah, yeah, I know Dr. W says we'll feel much better about the whole thing if we exercise, eat well, get plenty of rest, and supplement with B12 & soy....but every now and again it's good therapy to just tell it like it is!
We have wrinkles and our breasts aren't perky. We look in the mirror and see not only our mothers, but our grandmothers! We value our bran and prunes on a roadtrip more than our bikinis and sunglasses.
Veritas (and metamucil) vos liberabit.
I think I've written my way to an epiphany.... that while this proces of aging is slightly disconcerting, it's mega-cool. We are still "becoming." In a universe where creation lasts more than 7 days, we are works in progress!
No longer "period pieces," we have become "classics."
And we get discounts on Wednesays at all the stores in the mall.
It doesn't get much better than that!
Okay, it does get better.
Peace, dear sisters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home